Monday, October 26, 2009

Trying to find the time

Time = fail, it has been so busy of late, that I haven't made much progress.  Ugh.

This doesn't mean I haven't bought new fabric for new projects.  Whooooooops.

Monday, October 19, 2009

Whooops, new project started

I know I'm meant to be finishing things - but I've made such good progress lately on my existing projects...I couldn't but help start making something with my moda fabric.  This cute little packet I just adored, but had no idea what to make - something small but pretty and also useful.

Hence, I thought, babies are small - I know people with babies...I'll make a gift for a friend!  And so a little chuck rug for Aston was decided upon.  Little Aston is our neighbour's little boy, who has reflux, so plenty of towels required!

I'm feeling pretty lazy today though - so I couldn't be bothered planning it out - I just started sewing and cutting - and sewing back together.  Bit silly really to chop up all the fabric just to put it back together again - but it's come up really nicely.

Now the real challenge is to finish it before Aston gets too big......

Onto the construction.  All the blocks were 5", so I chopped all of them in half to begin with.  Then there are three different types of block.  The halves sewn short end, end to end.  This made the strips above.  Then I sewed all the left over blocks long side to long side.  Then chopped it into thirds again to make almost log cabin blocks.  And that made the busy strips shown to the right.

Then when I laid it out over the hand towel I was using as a was too short!  So finally I got some extra blocks and you can see those pinned below. Again, just 5" blocks chopped in half, and then sewn long side together.

The general idea from this stage (although I'm not sewing any more tonight - red wine is on the agenda), I'll stitch this down to the hand towel, then add a border much like the binding on a quilt.  But machine sewn for a bit more durability, as I anticipate it'll be going through the wash a fair bit!  And now, I've got all the pinks from the Moda pack left....just need someone to have a little girl now....

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Projects complete!

 It's been a hell of a week- but this weekend I've been all hermitage and finally finished the fat cat, and also managed to finish a few other projects.  It's nice, feeling such a sense of actually getting something done for me :)   My husband did say that it would be nice to give to our first child.  I think it will be sitting in the cupboard for awhile then!

In trying to get Katies quilt done, I've finally made all the binding.  9m of carefully folded and wrapped up, ready to go as soon as I've finished the quilting.  I needed a bit of a break, as the stitching 4 rows on the border really felt like I was getting nowhere.  Funny that, 5 years in the making and the borders seem to take forever.  Bah.

But, what I did think was a real win was this fun little project from clothkits which was a free gift with a subscription from Sew Hip in the UK.  (thanks mum!).  It was pretty much the easiest 1 hour project.  Not that I actually needed a doorstop, but I've looked on the webby, and there are heaps of other awesome projects.  I really would like to try one of the little dresses. But this doorstop was seriously easy to make, with the full pattern pre-printed and easy to follow instructions.  

It's going well on the sewing front!  Maybe this blog to completion plan will work out!

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Further work on the fat cat

Finally finished the fat cat face!  It's looking really quite silly, and it's now at the stage of sewing the little cat into 3d.  The nose is a little wonky, but seeing as the cat nearly didn't get given a nose it can't be too picky about the one it gets.  Tom thinks I should sew little arms on it, but I'm not sure.  

The ears are causing me a few problems, I had originally planned to sew just two outlines together, but I think it won't make the ears as full and cat like as they could be.  Trying to google a way to make extra little inserts at the back.  And a tail - not sure whether to just sew an actual tail, or whether to embroider one.  

Need to go and get the filler next - always drives me nuts that you can only get it in such giant bags.  Seriously useful if you want to make a huge soft toy - or multiple toys.  

Maybe I should just make some more....

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Psychic felt skills

UGH.  So after thinking about Katie's quilt, which is most definitely close to being finished, I started thinking about all the other unfinished projects lurking in the back of the closet.

Turns out to be a couple - but not toooo bad.  (but I'm pretending not to see the denim skirt or the satin dress).  I was going to blog them all - but then I realised that was part of my divine procrastination technique, and that wasn't going to get anything finished.

But I'd forgotten about a little felt squishy toy I tried to make - which is quite amusing in hindsight.  This fat cat was started when we were just back from living in the UK, and were living with my parents-in-law.  Who could have known that I had psychic felt skills - as 18 months later I have a real life version of this little blob!

It's hard to see the extent of how fat Mei is - she tends to blob out towards the bottom end.  But she's on a special diet now, so she might even be thin by the time the felt fat cat is finished.  Unlikely though - that cat seems to spontaneously absorb carbs.  Or bacon....

I've just stitched the other eye bit on, and started with a bright red tongue.  The only problem is I did have a little red wine while sewing, and my blanket stitch got very very shady....